I am a post-doctoral researcher in the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics. My work consists of developing behavioral models of vaccination strategies for the management of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) in the United States.
I completed my PhD with Alan Hastings in theoretical ecology at the University of California, Davis. My research interests combine animal behavior, population ecology, and epidemiology, with a focus on predicting the emergence of complex spatiotemporal patterns stemming from movement patterns.
My past experience also includes modeling metapopulation dynamics at the University of Helsinki with Otso Ovaskainen and Ilkka Hanski. I am currently in collaboration with researchers at EcoHealth Alliance to investigate the risks and management options of Rift Valley Fever based on the seasonal home range patterns of wild and domestic ungulates.
- Tao, Y., L. Borger, and A. Hastings. Dynamic Range Size Analysis of Territorial Animals: An Optimality Approach. In revision.
- Epstein, J., S. Anthony, A. Kilpatrick, A. Islam, S. Khan, M. Hossein, K. Olival, M. Sanchez, J. Barr, I. Smith, Y. Tao, C., Zambrana-Torrelio, P. Quan, E. Gurley, M. Fielder, T. Briese, G. Crameri, L. Wang, W. Lipkin, S. Luby, and P. Daszak. Human activities, more than bat host viral dynamics, drive Nipah Virus Encephalitis outbreaks in Bangladesh. submitted
- Tao, Y., L. Borger, M. Lewis, and A. Hastings. Review: Embracing Transient Dynamics in Movement Ecology. Ecology Letters. Pre-submission accepted.
- Tao, Y., and A. Hastings. Departing from Steady-State: Transient Home Range Analysis via FiPy. in prep.
- Tao, Y., M. Rostal, A. Kemp, and P. Hosseni. Transient Movement Effects of Ungulate Rift Valley Fever Dynamics: Method and Analysis. in prep.
- Tao, Y., O. Ovaskainen, and I. Hanski. Numerical Correspondence between Individual-Based and Metapopulation Models under Environmental Stochasticity. in prep.
- Tao, Y., C. Zambrana-Torrelio, and K. Lee. On Integrations of Movement, Economics, and Disease Modelings in Ecological Systems. in prep.